Carson Elementary Remote Learning Plan + Resources
April 15, 2020
“Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don’t fight them, just find a new way to stand”
– Oprah Winfrey
In response to the COVID-19 global health crisis, Denver Public Schools has developed a remote learning plan so our students can continue learning while our school buildings are closed. This plan represents DPS’ commitment to making every effort to ensure that learning of each and every Denver student continues to be successful.
This plan is founded on the following principles: (1) supporting continuous instruction, (2) providing access for all students, and (3) maintaining connectedness to the community.
Carson Plan: The Carson staff is committed to providing engaging, remote learning opportunities that support students and families while continuing the trajectory of learning for all children.
Remote Learning at Carson Elementary has been designed to ensure:
- Engaging Standards-Aligned Rigorous Instruction – Teachers will continue designing lessons that are aligned to the common core standards with rigorous and meaningful learning opportunities in each content area.
- Flexibility for students and families – Teachers are creating weekly plans that will support families to have the flexibility to create a daily/weekly learning schedule that works best for your circumstance.
- Streamlined online platforms and resources – We have organized the learning opportunities through one central platform (Google Classroom) for students 1st-5th to streamline and simplify the remote learning experience for families.
- Opportunities for students and families to stay connected with school staff -We are creating opportunities for staff to connect with students and families in multiple ways (office hours, daily check-ins, morning meetings, online meetings, etc.).
How will we receive our communication from the school and teachers?
School Flyer App/Emails
- We will continue to use our School Flyer App and IC messenger as a means for communication with families. If you are not receiving the weekly Principal Newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a Principal Newsletter every Monday with :
- A letter from the principals
- Academic Updates
- Specials lessons
- GT resources and Habits of Mind activities
- Character Ed information
- FUN weekly events
- Teachers will push out communication directly to parents via the app and emails on Mondays with an outline of the week work.
All Carson staff will be accessible via email. Teaching staff will set up office hours for families to email them directly and connect with questions. Staff Emails
We will be using Google Classroom as our primary platform for all student learning for students in grades 1-5. DPS Google Link
- To learn more about how to navigate Google Classroom, CLICK HERE.
Attendance- DPS’ top priority is to ensure that students have access to online instructional materials. All students will automatically be marked “present” for each day of the week if they have engaged with the online instruction teachers have provided. If teachers have been unable to connect with a student, and if there is no evidence of engagement with online material, Carson’s attendance manager will use a special code to indicate that there has been no student engagement (NSE).
How will I know what assignments my child needs to complete each day?
Students will be given a weekly plan of assignments to complete through Google classrooms and email by 9:00 AM each Monday.
Teachers will be setting up Google Meets and Office hours to meet one-on-one, in small groups, and in whole class meetings with students to answer questions and work on the lesson materials.
*You can find your child’s student number/lunchnumber in DPS Parent Portal .
Google Classroom (1-5)
User Name: Student Number/LunchNumber@dpsk12.net (email@example.com)
Password: Full Birth Date (01012001)
*Here is a quick Google Login Cheat Sheet on how to trouble shoot.
SORA Library Services (All Grades)
User Name: Student Number/Lunch Number (111111)
Password: Full Birth Date (01012001)
How do I get tech support during the day?
Dots – School Technology Partner
Godsman – Mon/Thu: 12:00pm-4:00pm – Wed: 12:00pm-2:00pm
Schmitt – Tue/Fri: 12:00pm-4:00pm – Wed: 2:00pm-4:00pm
Carson – Mon-Fri: 7:30am – 11:30am